The present 1st Wash Common Scout Group will celebrate its 60th Birthday in 2017!
Since 1909 there have been at least 4 other troops in the area. A cub pack was formed by Mrs Mister and Mrs Wilcox in 1957 Meeting in "Club Hall" a former working mans club and billet in Wash Common.
In November 1964 the waiting list of boys for the cub pack was so large that a second pack was formed with Miss Dalby as Cubmaster. By September 1965 the Scout troop had grown to 8 patrols and was too large for most purposes. The troop was divided into two and named Falkland and Cromwell after characters from the Battles of Newbury in the 1600's.
The Scout section was started in November 1961 under Mr Shelton and Mr L Dalby. The troop began with 7 boys and thier first camp was at the Windor International camp in 1962 (now WInGS). That year Mr Shelton became Group Scoutmaster, Mr Dalby taking over the expanding troop with Mr Lewis and Mr Stevenson as Assistant Scoutmasters.
Today, 1st Wash Common continues to go from strength to strengh with two of each section, Beavers, Cubs and Scouts, meeting weekly during term time.